Student Affairs and Enrollment Management


Frequently Asked Questions About OAEA

What is the purpose of accommodations in a college setting? 

The purpose of accommodations is to provide equal access and opportunity.  At Central State University, we provide students with qualifying disabilities, and health conditions, accommodations to ensure that students experience an equal opportunity in all aspects of college life.  


How is an individual with a disability qualified to receive accommodations at Central State? 

Establishing that you are a person with a disability or health condition who qualifies for accommodations is an interactive process.  Documentation of your disability or health condition must be provided during the initial intake process in our office.  This process includes the submission of documentation and a meeting with the ADA compliance coordinator.  Once this has occurred, your information will be reviewed, and you will be provided with a determination of eligibility.   


What type of documentation do I need to qualify for accommodations at CSU?

There are specific guidelines concerning documentation that students need to follow, depending on the disability. What is important to consider is that the documentation needs to be current and show a significant impact on at least one major life activity such as seeing, walking, hearing, thinking, learning, etc. The documentation needs to include a report, a summary of the findings, a diagnosis, and suggestions for accommodations. 

I had an IEP or a 504 plan in high school. Will that transfer to CSU? 

No, it will not.  Services received during K-12 are covered under different legislation than those received during college.  An IEP or a 504 plan is useful in terms of identifying what has been helpful to a student in the past.  However, the range of accommodations and services available in college may differ. Submitting a copy of an IEP or 504 plan for the initial intake process is helpful, but additional documentation may need to be submitted. 


How will my instructors know that I need accommodations? 

After you experience the intake process (meeting with the ADA compliance coordinator) and have been deemed eligible to receive services, a faculty notification will be issued from the office. In addition, you will receive and deliver Letters of Accommodation (LOA’s) to each instructor for your initial intake semester at CSU.


What type of accommodations does CSU provide for students with disabilities? 

Some common accommodations include, but are not limited to: extended time of exams/quizzes, extended time on assignments, proctoring services, distraction-free environment for testing, flexibility in the attendance policy,  recording of lectures, note-taking assistance, access to assistive technology and adaptive equipment, preferential seating, formula sheets, access to instructional content, and more. Additional accommodations and services are usually determined by individual needs. 


Will my letters of accommodation be automatically given to my instructors every semester?

No.  It is the responsibility of the student to deliver and discuss their letters with instructors.  If a student would like to continue accommodations after their initial intake semester, they must submit a request for accommodations every semester in the Office of Academic Empowerment & Accessibility (OAEA).  Accommodations are not retroactive, and they do not carry over from semester to semester.


If I self-identify my disability with OAEA, will it show up on my academic record? 

No.  Your information is strictly confidential. 


Can my parents be involved with the intake process or while I’m an enrolled student at CSU? 

If you would like them to be, yes, however, you must complete a Release of Information form to allow staff to speak with your parents.  For more information, contact the OAEA at 937-376-6479 or


I have a temporary disability.  Can the OAEA help me? 

Services for students who have a  temporary disability are available.  The intake process is the same.  Examples of a temporary disability may include but are not limited to:  broken limbs, hand injuries, concussions, short-term impairments following surgery or medical treatments, pregnancy, and mental health situations that may include partial hospitalization. 


Is assistive technology available at CSU?

Yes.  The OAEA provides assistive technology and resources, in addition to Library Services, at no charge to the student. 


What do I do if I have special housing needs?   

Alternative housing options are limited.  Thus, it is important to identify your needs to the ADA compliance coordinator during the initial intake process or as soon as possible. This discussion will support the engagement with the Office of Residence Life to ensure that your request is submitted for consideration.  It will be necessary to provide sufficient documentation and evidence of the need for alternative housing options before any decision is made.   


If I am a prospective student, should I meet with someone from the Office of Academic Empowerment & Accessibility before being accepted to CSU?  

We would be happy to meet with you anytime during the admission/enrollment process, while you are on a tour of the campus, or by scheduling a meeting by phone, or virtually. When visiting the campus, please coordinate your tour request directly through the Office of Admissions. To connect by phone or virtually, contact the OAEA at 937-376-6479 or

link to Marauderland page, GO TO MARAUDERLAND